VIAN – The Wolverines wasted no time getting on the board Friday night . Masyn Wright grabbed the opening kick-off and took it 84 yards to the house for a 6-0 lead after a bad snap on the extra point attempt.

Eufaula responded quickly with the help of a 40-yard scramble by Ledger Folsom on third down before he completed a fluttering pass over the middle to Maddox Bridges for a 36-yard completion down to the Vian 7-yard line.

One play later Eufaula’s Peter Lee broke a tackle and scampered  in for the Ironheads score with 8:14 still remaining in the opening quarter to put Eufaula up 7-6.

A 37-yard  Draighton Fletcher run  was aided by an Ironheads personal foul to get the ball down to the Eufaula 15 yard line with 43 seconds left in the period.

As the second quarter opened, Fletcher finished the drive with a seven yard run to put Vian back on top 12-7 after a missed Mikaya Mendoza extra point attempt with 11:46 remaining in the half.

Keonte Youngblood mishandled the ensuing kickoff, but time was upset for Vian’s special team and Youngblood went 92 yards for the touchdown return. Bryan Lynn was good on the extra point to put the Ironheads on top 14-12 with 11:34 remaining in the half.

On the third play of a Eufaula drive from the 3, Wright recovered a Fulsom fumble at the 30 and two plays later scrambled in from the 11 for his second of the night. The Wolverines were successful on a 2-point conversion on a pitch to Fletcher over the right side to make it 20-14 with 7:29 still to play in the half.

Eufaula responded with a drive that ended with a Folsom 31-yard scramble on fourth and ten to give the lead back to the Ironheads 21-20 with 4:00 remaining in the half.

Vian wasn’t done yet. Flecher broke over the left side for a 52-yard touchdown for his second of the night that put Vian in the lead 26-21 when another 2-point attempt failed.

Fletcher racked up 127 yards rushing in the first half.

The Wolverines scored again with just 1 tick on the clock when Wright scrambled in from six for his third  on the night and a 33-21 Vian lead at the half.

Things calmed down a bit in the second half with no scoring in the third quarter.

At the 4 minute mark of the fourth quarter Folsom scrambled in to get the Ironheads within 6 points 33-27 but that would be it for the scoring except for a Wolverines safety on a bruising tackle by Tristan Wiley with 1:12 left in the game.

Vian (1-1) will travel to Lincoln Christian (2-0) next week to take on the Bulldogs and Eufaula (0-1) hosts Sequoyah (Tahlequah) (0-1) in their home opener.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Suggestions or Comments

Warning: Use of undefined constant php - assumed 'php' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/customer/www/ on line 17